what i like about religion:
- ethics/morality. Religion is good at encouraging people to be good. Of course, it also encourages them to be bad, though it does not intend to.
- eschatology. Today this could almost be renamed ecology. It is reflection on death, the future and the way things should be(come). It provides us with direction, something that is sorely lacking in our present world.
- mystery. This is just plain fun. It’s thinking about all the things we cannot begin to comprehend. It is akin to art inasmuch as it is clearly the most beautiful aspect of religion.
- opposition to science. Competition is good and science needs competition if it is to thrive. The only problem is that religion is, sadly, not very intelligent competition…
what i don’t like about religion:
- metaphysics/dogma. Religion is too sure of itself and certainly needs science as a competitor in the area. But for the time being, all dogma should probably jettisoned; it’s just too bloody dangerous.
- ritual. Some ritual is good, but it needs to be completely extricated from dogma and re-interpreted along utilitarian lines. Until that is done, i will continue to mock it.